There’s one thing that I know for sure about fitness and weight loss: it’s not enough to just follow a meal plan, list of foods, or calorie count and expect lasting change. That’s because to create permanent physical change, we have to create a permanent mindset change as well.
Here are four principles that are essential for lasting nutritional change, along with some reading material on each one. Following these principles will help you transform your way of thinking, and in turn, transform your body as well.
Principle 1: Love your body unconditionally –
This may seem counter intuitive, but hear me out. Positive change can never come from a place of negative emotion. If you struggle to accept and love your body in the here and now, you will also struggle to create a permanent way of eating that will allow your body to thrive.
- The crucial (and often overlooked) first step for lasting weight loss
- Loving our body unconditionally: does it hurt or help weight loss?
Principle 2: Develop a healthy mindset around food –
Just as feeling negative about our bodies is counterproductive, so is feeling fear, shame, or guilt about the food we eat.
- The resolution that finally transformed my body and my life
- The 3 words that changed my relationship with food forever
Principle 3: Make healthy eating work with your life, not against it —
Diets require us to work our entire lives around our way of eating, which is one reason why they fail. Instead, create a way of eating that complements your life and adds to it.
- My top strategies for eating well without dieting (aka getting off the crazy train and learning to take care of your body)
Principle 4: Take action to create lasting change —
Knowledge doesn’t do any good unless you take action on it. Although it may see overwhelming to make change, it doesn’t have to be. Take it one small step at a time, stay consistent with that one step until it feels natural, then move on to the next.
- A simple solution for turning nutrition knowledge into consistent action
- The biggest nutrition mistake most people are making
Enjoy this material, and more importantly take action on it!