I just can’t get enough of butternut squash in the fall. It’s an obsession.
One of my favorite butternut squash recipes is this amazing soup. It’s like heaven in a bowl. Creamy, sweet, comfort food for sure. And what’s even better than heaven in a bowl? Heaven in a bowl that is easy and quick to put together.
This recipe makes a large pot of soup that usually lasts me at least a week for lunch, served with a chicken salad or roasted veggies & meat. But you can easily cut the recipe in half and have just enough to serve 4 people for a dinner gathering.
- 2 large butternut squash (about 4 1/2 lbs.) or 4 lbs. peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 1 large onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp. Coconut oil, olive oil, or butter
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt plus more to taste
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp. ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground Cardamom
- Halve, seed, peel, and cube butternut squash.
- Halve, peel, and chop onion. Crush garlic and remove peel.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add butter or oil, onion, garlic and squash.
- Stir regularly to prevent burning on bottom of pot and even cooking. Sauté until onion and garlic are soft and translucent.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Add cinnamon and cardamom. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover with lid. Simmer about 20 minutes.
- When squash is tender begin blending. Place small amounts of squash and broth in a food processor or blender. Blend until mixture is completely smooth. Continue until entire batch is blended.
- Return soup to pot and add salt to taste.
Copyright 2013 Youtrition LLC.