Fall weather. Awesome! There’s nothing like a chilly fall day to make me want to cuddle in front of the fire with a bowl of warm soup. This is one of my favorite new chicken soup recipes. The trick is the cilantro. don’t skip the cilantro. In fact, did you know cilantro is considered a “healing spice” in many parts of the world? It’s been said to have anti-inflammatory and anti-diabetic properties, and there is actually some research to back this viewpoint. If nothing else, I promise it heals my soul.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 can white beans, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- chopped avocado (optional)
- In a large pot, cook onions on medium heat in 1 TBSP stock until transluscent
- Add chicken and saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and allow to simmer for 35-40 min.
- Top with avocado (optional) and serve.
Oh, and in case you’re a geeky science nerd like me, here’s the link to some research on cilantro.